acl tear treatment

Comprehensive ACL Tear Treatment: Approaches, Rehabilitation, and Possible Complications

Comprehensive ACL Tear Treatment: Approaches, Rehabilitation, and Possible Complications

The approach to  ACL tear treatment is tailored to individual patients, considering factors like age, activity level, and any additional knee injuries. Typically, surgery is recommended for active, younger patients or cases accompanied by other knee structure damage. Non-surgical options may be suggested for older or less active patients.

Is surgery necessary for ACL tear treatment?

Surgery aims to restore knee stability, preventing episodes of instability or excessive forward movement, which can be painful. It’s also vital for safeguarding knee cartilage. Additionally, the meniscus, a shock-absorbing cartilage in the knee, needs protection.

Exploring Non-Surgical Treatment for ACL tear treatment

Non-surgical methods involve physical therapy, activity adjustment, and bracing. Physical therapy targets muscle strengthening to compensate for the missing ACL, focusing on the hamstrings. Modifying activities that don’t involve cutting motions, such as jogging, cycling, or swimming, can also help in ACL tear treatment.

A hinged sports brace might be utilized to provide support, although results may vary.

Surgical ACL tear treatment and ACL Reconstruction

Once the ACL is torn, surgical repair isn’t often successful. Instead, the torn ACL is replaced or reconstructed using a tendon from around the knee. The procedure is usually performed arthroscopically. The graft is taken from the patellar or hamstring tendons and threaded through tunnels drilled into the tibia and femur. This recreates the ligament’s position, protecting the articular cartilage. Fixation devices secure the graft, like screws, staples, or sutures.

Other knee structures might also be addressed during surgery, like repairing or trimming a torn meniscus or reconstructing other ligaments.

Recovery and Rehabilitation

Rehabilitation duration varies based on the surgery type, with physical therapy sessions happening under professional supervision. The recovery phases generally include:

1. Initial Phase: Controlling pain and swelling, regaining motion, and restoring muscle strength. A brace is used initially.

2. Second Phase: Focusing on full motion and muscle strength recovery, introducing cycling and light jogging.

3. Final Phase: Gradually returning to full activity, ensuring strength and coordination.

Potential Complications

Complications are rare but include front knee pain and limited knee motion. Proper physical therapy adjustments can usually address these issues. In some cases, intermittent pain and swelling may persist post-reconstruction due to existing meniscal or cartilage damage. A small percentage of patients may experience persistent increased motion, which might be due to graft stretching or additional injuries.

Returning to Sports

About 85% of patients regain their previous activity level after surgery. The remaining 15% might have limitations due to various factors, such as pain, laxity, age-related changes, or personal choices.

Contact us for more details:

Total Orthocare

59 A, MNR Complex,
Near Steel Factory Bus Stop,
DoddaBanaswadi Main Road,
Bengaluru-560043 Phone: 080-4370 1281 Mobile: 9591618833

Book An Appointment